Friday, January 25, 2008

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult



Jake let go of my hands and held my face in his palms. He stared at me and brushed his lips over mine, just as he had three years before at the drive-in, the kiss I had carried with me like a holy relic. I leaned against him, and he twisted his fingers into my hair, hurting me. He moved his tongue over my lips and into my mouth. I felt hungry. Something inside me was tearing apart, and at my core was something hot, hard and white. I wrapped my arms around Jake's neck, not knowing if I was doing this right, just understanding that if I did not have more, I would never forgive myself. ~ Harvesting the Heart, page 153 ~

Paige has only a few vivid memories of her mother, who abandoned her when she was five. Now, having left her father behind in Chicago, she dreams of art school, marries an ambitious doctor - and soon becomes a mother herself. Overwhelmed by the demands of having a family, Paige cannot forget her mother's absence and the shameful memories of her own past, which make her doubt both her ability to give and her sense of self-worth.

I didn't finish, reading only 153 of 453 pages. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors and I really tried to give this book an opportunity to grab my attention. My usual is 50 pages and done if I can't get into a book. I gave this book 3x that. The pace of the story was like watching a glacier melt. Others books such as My Sister's Keeper, Vanishing Acts and Tenth Circle got my attention right from the start. Also, this book was her second published novel and she may still have been trying to define her style which is why I'm being neutral. I recommend this author I just don't recommend this particular book.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's the exact spot that I'm at right now -- and I've been "reading" this book for 2 weeks now when it usually only takes me 3-4 days. I just carry the book around with me most of the time. I'm gonna try to finish it in the next few days since I don't like to leave things unread, but it's due back to the library. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who couldn't get through this one -- and I normally love her books!

Post a Comment