Friday, March 28, 2008

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn


I has passed Sir Cedric's door and had almost reached the Tower Room when I felt a rush of air against my face. I opened my mouth to exclaim, but before I could do so, a strong hand clamped about my wrist and dragged me into the room. The door was closed behind me and I was pushed up against it, the hand now firmly pressed over my mouth. ~ Silent in the Sanctuary, page 262 ~

Fresh from a six-month sojourn in Italy, Lady Julia returns home to Sussex to find her father's estate crowded with family and friends - but dark deeds are afoot at the deconsecrated abbey, and a murderer roams the ancient cloisters.

I found this book every bit as intriguing and entertaining as Silent in the Grave. She spends more time setting up the murder, it takes places half way through the story instead of right at the start. Clues are cleverly hidden in plain sight and you must be skillful in determining what is useful and what is not. I didn't uncover the murderer until it was revealed in the story nor did I see another twist that was coming for her aunt. All the same characters from Silent in the Grave are here along with some new ones. The relationship between Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane is interesting as you "watch" the give and take between these two. I'm all for keeping them at a distance letting the charged atmosphere swirl around them.

If you enjoy murder mysteries set in historical England add this author to your reading list. Personally I'm looking forward to the next Lady Julia Grey mystery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment