Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Broken Window: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel by Jeffery Deaver


The Broken Window: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel
Jeffery Deaver
Simon & Schuster
432 pages

Something nagged, yet she couldn't quite figure out what.
~ First sentence, Chapter One, The Broken Window ~

Rhyme, a forensic consultant for the NYPD, and his detective partner, Amelia Sachs, take on a psychotic mastermind who uses data mining—the business of the twenty-first century—not only to select and hunt down his victims but also to frame the crimes on complete innocents. Rhyme is reluctantly drawn into a case involving his estranged cousin, Arthur, who's been charged with first-degree murder. But when Rhyme and his crew look into the strange set of circumstances surrounding his cousin's alleged crime, they discover tangential connections to a company that specializes in collecting and analyzing consumer data. Further investigation leads them to some startlingly Orwellian revelations: Big Brother is watching your every move and could be a homicidal maniac.

Major cases of identity theft gone murderously wrong. This is a chilling tale, frightening really when you get right down to it. To think that someone or someones know everything about you. Every little, minute detail of your life. And they steal it. They turn your life upside down. They murder, set you up to take the fall and they've done it perfectly. I've read every book in the series and this is my favorite to date. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning because I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. This one grabs and doesn't let go. Engaging and suspenseful start to finish. Mr. Deaver is a master at his craft and this proves he's at the top of his game.

1 Comment:

Traci said...

I've only read one Jeffery Deaver, The Bone Collector, and it was fantastic. It was only a couple of months ago, and I've looked for the next one in the series - I guess they should be read in order? - but I haven't come across it when I've been thinking of it and in a bookstore. I hate to order it (I really prefer to do my book shopping in person), but I might just have to do that.

Post a Comment