Saturday, July 26, 2008

Reading Journal ... the latest from the library













The First Patient
Michael Palmer
St. Martin's Press, 2008
384 pages
Mystery, thriller
My impression: This is the first book by Mr. Palmer that I've read in years. After enjoying this one so much I'm wondering why I haven't kept up with his work. I definitely will read more of his back list. There was more than enough medical mystery, emerging technology and thriller to keep me turning the pages long after I should have been asleep. The sign of a good book for me is the length of time it takes me to read it ~ 2 days with limited reading time. Must have been a page turner.




The Map Thief
Heather Terrell
Ballantine Books, 2008
272 pages
Mystery, historical fiction
Book provided by Authors on the Web
My impression: This is a mystery within a mystery built around astonishing historical detail. Mystery one is the theft of the map itself and returning it to it's rightful owner. The second mystery revolves around which country lays claim to having completed the first world map ~ China or Portugal. This book is rich in historical detail and interesting facts woven around a real life mystery. I found the story of Zhi and his life fascinating and the most intriguing. The Portugal story line was less developed but played an integral part in history. The mystery of finding and returning the map didn't keep me on the edge of my seat as I felt it was pretty low key and didn't carry any real suspense. This is Ms. Terrell's 2nd book staring Mara Coyne. I intend to go back and read The Chrysalis as I did enjoy this one and would like to know more about the lead character's background. This was another one that only took me 2 days to get through with limited reading time

4 Comments:

twiga92 said...

I really like Michael Palmer's stuff. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Marcia said...

Hi Twiga92~
Thanks for stopping by today. I noticed after visiting your blog that you also read Robin Cook another author that I've read in the past and have gone back to reading.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I LOVE Palmer's the Fifth Vial. I have another of his in my TBR pile as well.

Marcia said...

Hi Lenore~
Ok so now I'm adding "The Fifth Vial" to my ever growing Amazon wishlist. Thanks for stopping by.

Post a Comment