Monday, December 17, 2007

The Forget-Me-Not Sonata by Santa Montefiore



Overview: The Hurlingham Club in Buenos Aires is a little piece of England, home to the small Anglo-Argentine community where gossip is devoured as eagerly as the scones and Earl Gray tea.

Here Audrey Garnet grows up and loses her heart to Louis Forrester, the talented, troubled young man who sets tongues wagging with his eccentric behaviour and chequered past. Finding in Audrey the one woman who understands him, Louis composes especially for her a brilliant piece of music: the forget-me-not sonata. To the hypnotic melody of this magical tune they embark upon a secret love affair.

Epic in scope, lyrical in tone, The Forget-Me-Not Sonata is a passionate voyage of self-discovery, and an exploration of the true meaning of love.

My review: This only the 2nd work by this British author I've read. While this story didn't captivate me quite the way that The Last Voyage of the Valentina did I still very much enjoyed reading this book. I like her writing style. Over the nearly 40 years this story takes place she offers up wonderful descriptive paragraphs of the characters and their feelings and surroundings. One can "see" the countryside in both Argentina and England and feel the emotions invoked by the characters.

The haunting part of this story is when the author's writing about the sonata that Louis composes for Audrey. Those parts of the story line remind me of scenes from "Phantom of the Opera." One feels both the love and pain that this piece of music brings forth in Louis and Audrey.

The last couple of chapters in this story were compelling and brought a tear to my eye. In the end Audrey does the right thing and honors the love she should have all along.

I look forward to reading more from this author once I've worked my way through those demanding TBR piles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment