Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pick Your Poison by Leann Sweeney


"Because I called you here to warn you. Not to arrest you for interfering in an official investigation, like I could have. Do me a favor and stick to computers. Something you know about." He removed two more sticks of gum, unwrapped them, and aimed the wadded-up papers at the neighboring trash can. He missed. ~ Pick Your Poison, page 113 ~

Out of school, out of work, and out of motivation, Abby Rose is contemplating her life and wondering what to do next. It's the kind of situation that would get some girls down, but luckily Abby's got a heart the size of Texas - and a bank account to match...

When Abby discovers her gardener, Ben, dead in the greenhouse one afternoon, the emptiness of her own life hits her like a glass of ice-cold Texas tea. Ever since her father died, she's been mooning around the pool, making herself as useful as a june bug on a daisy. When the sexy detective from the Houston P.D. tells her it was poison that killed Ben, Abby realizes what she needs to do with herself: solve a murder. Little does she suspect that the answers to her questions about Ben's death will unlock secrets about her own past - and might change her entire future...

I loved Abby. She's feisty, ballsy and fun. It was a rip roaring good read. This book grabbed me right from the start and didn't let go. I picked up a few of the clues but the ultimate baddie escaped my detecting until it was revealed in the story line. The author sets up future books which is fine by me because I'll be back to visit with Abby and friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment