Thursday, February 14, 2008

After The Honeymoon ... Booking Through Thursday, 2/14/08


Here’s something for Valentine’s Day.

Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?


I have broken up with some of my favorites and others I continue an on-again, off-again relationship. Most of my break ups aren't painful and have evolved over time.

I find this the case when it's a series with the same character or group of characters. Over time they've done all they can do and the writing becomes a bit stale. I tire of them and go looking for someone new to spark to my interest. Or I find it hard to keep track of which story line belong to which character(s). I have several favorites who write story lines, let's say about lawyers, and those lawyers have on-going relationships with other characters from past books in the series. It's hard to remember whose been doing what in which story with the lag time in writing and publishing new books. Also, I read so much that my memory cells tend to go on overload and short circuit.

For those I have an on-again, off-again relationship with it is usually a change in writing style that tends to make me stray. Over time in any career boredom tends to set in, day in and day out the same routine. I think this would be true with authors. So in order to keep their work interesting not only to readers but the writers themselves they might try a different style of writing or genre. Such is my relationship with a top horror/suspense author. I've read just about everything this man has written. Up until 2000 I can honestly say I enjoyed every book I read and looked forward to the newest release. Then his writing style changed and I found myself not finishing books and enjoying about every other new release. Now when I know he has a new release coming out I put it on hold at the library and give it try, no less than 50 pages minimum.

http://btt2.wordpress.com/2008/02/

1 Comment:

Literary Feline said...

I've had a few on again off again relationships with authors. Mostly though it's because I have so many other books I want to read though, and I go through phases of what I'm in the mood to read.

There was one author I really wanted to love, but he disappointed me more often than he pleased me. I finally decided to give him up. It wasn't worth continuing. My reading his books weren't going to make him a better writer or me more interested.

Post a Comment