Saturday, June 14, 2008

Reading Journal ... the week past

Reading picked up speed this week but then summer has finally made an appearance in Boise and I decided to turn off the DVR, take the furbabies outside and read while pretending to keep the children from going over the fence and corralled in the backyard.

I finished Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund in anticipation of receiving Marie-Therese by Susan Nagel from Authors On The Web and posted my thoughts and impressions here.

I also started and finished 2 other books this week: Intuition by Allegra Goodman for my f2f book club and Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu by J. Maarten. Thoughts and impressions for Intuition can be found here and Getting Stoned with Savages here.

So I've spent time in France from 1767 to 1793, spent time in a medical research lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts and a couple semi pleasant years on island time. Of the three island time was my favorite.

My intention was to start Barbara Delinsky's newest, The Secret Between Us, and I'd even downloaded it to the Kindle last night in anticipation of kicking back today and reading, reading, reading. Those good intentions went right out door when my Early Reviewers book, The Richest Season by Maryann McFadden, from Librarything arrived today. I always give ARCs/AREs priority in my reading so the timing couldn't have been better. Speaking of ARCs/AREs I'm totally hooked on Shelf Awareness. This is a wonderful site with book related news and plenty of opportunities to request free books.

A bit of sad news: Up For Grabs melted down last night and imploded. I've resurrected it and put up a couple of polls so we'll go from there. It's a site for independent, non income generating, non commercial book bloggers to link book giveaways and contests. I really need to gage interest in this type of venture.

1 Comment:

Traci said...

I'm still waiting on The Richest Season to arrive here in VA. I just got back home after a long weekend away, so I'm hoping none of my nosy neighbors saw it lying on my stoop and helped themselves to it.

And, I'm right there with you on loving those Shelf Awareness newsletters. There's some really neat information in all of them. Of course the free books don't hurt.

Post a Comment