Monday, July 14, 2008

Tuesday Thingers ... Book-swapping: Do I or Don't I?



I'm actually going to play early this week. It's 15 minutes before midnight so it's still technically Monday night. Usually I don't get my post written until very late on Tuesday nights. The details are this: Marie at The Boston Bibliophile hosts Tuesdays Thingers. This week's topic: Book-swapping. Do you do it? What site(s) do you use? How did you find out about them? What do you think of them? Do you use LT's book-swapping column feature for information on what to swap? Do you participate in any of the LT communities that discuss bookswapping, like the Bookmooch group for example?

The answer: Once upon a time I swapped. Now that I read exclusively on my Amazon Kindle I don't have books to swap anymore unless I receive one from a publisher or book rep and those I tend to giveaway. I have contest going right, until the 17th, see left sidebar. Sorry I digress, a bit of shameless site promotion there. When I was swapping I used Bookins. I'm sure I came across the site while surfing the net a little over a year ago. I signed on with them because they made everything so easy. Post the books you have for trade, wait for notification that someone wants your book, print postage & package book, drop in any mailbox. I'm all about easy and no hassle. Bookins fit the bill for me for when I was swapping.

BTW ~ If someone out there is a Bookins user I have 266 points just sitting there. If you'd like them let me know. If I get more than one response to the offer I will split them up as equally as I can among those who respond. Please comment by Saturday the 19th at 11am MST. I'll figure out the details and post an update.

I don't use LT's book-swapping column nor do I participate in any book-swapping community discussions.

19 Comments:

Julie said...

I have never heard of Bookins, will have to check it out. Love you blog:)

Anonymous said...

I didn't really care for Bookins because I don't use credit cards, and I'd rather take care of the postage and stuff on my own.

What is Amazon Kindle, though?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I haven't met anyone yet who reads exclusively on the Kindle. What's the experience like? Don't you miss holding the books in your hands and all that great tactile stuff?

Anonymous said...

Hiya! I love your background. Like being in a cozy bookroom:)he he the name of my website:)

Marcia said...

Hi Julie~
If you decide to sign up at Bookins let me know so you can get some of the points I'm giving away. Thank you for the nice comment about my blog.

Marcia said...

Hi Koolaid Mom ~
The Amazon Kindle that I mentioned in my post is an e-book reader. In addition you can subscribe to and read blogs, newspapers, and magazines. You can also surf the web in elementary fashion and check and answer email. Log onto the Amazon site and you can get complete details about the Kindle. I absolutely love mine.

Marcia said...

Hi Readerville ~
Actually I don't miss paper books at all. I wondered if I would and put off buying a Kindle until they had been on the market about 7 months. I was hooked the minute I pulled it out the box. I find reading on Kindle preferable to a paper book because it's easier to hold and I don't have to worry about marking where I'm at because the pages don't "turn" when I put it down. I have about a dozen more reasons for loving it and I could go on and on but probably should keep the post fairly short. I have a contact me button on the right sidebar of this blog if you'd like more info and links about the Kindle.

Marcia said...

Hi Tracy ~

Thanks for the comment about my blog background. Actually I really like it also and can stare at my own blog for hours (LOL)

Melissa said...

I have a friend who keeps trying to talk me into a kindle. Maybe someday...but at this point it will take me years to read the books I already have. I do like the idea of it for traveling though!

Marcia said...

Hi Lallybroch ~
One of the really big selling points for me was being able to travel without hauling around a small library. My hubby use to hold his breath at luggage check just waiting to be charged a heavy bag fee. Now I can take as many books as I want on vacation and they weigh only 10.3 ounces. Puts a smile on his face.

S. Krishna said...

I have a Sony Reader and am a big fan, although I don't know if I'd ever be able to read exclusively on it - I like the feel of books too much!

Kathleen Gilligan said...

I've never heard of bookins either. I'll have to take a look at it.

Marcia said...

Hi S. Krishna ~
Thank you for stopping by today. I don't miss paper books like I thought I might. I guess I'm not really attached to the physical. Probably the same reason that I don't have a physical library and always pass along any paper books that I do have.

Marcia said...

Hi Kathleen ~
If you decide to sign up at Bookins let me know so that I can give you some of my points. I'd hate to waste them. If they don't go to TT participants I'll probably give them away at Up For Grabs.

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE your blog background picture!!
Also, I am starting to really think I need a Kindle. You people are winning me over! =)

Marcia said...

Hi Elizabeth ~
I'll admit I'm pretty in love with my blog background. Even my hubby who could really care less about my blog was impressed. Score points for me =)

As to the Kindle I love mine and would be lost without it. If you're thinking about spending the $$$ here's a blog post you might want to check out: http://kindlereader.blogspot.com/search/label/Kindle

Feel free to contact me with any questions. There is a email contact on the right sidebar of this blog.

Anonymous said...

I bought my husband a Kindle for his birthday. He travels a lot, and this will be great for him. He also likes that, aside from books, he can buy one day's issue of the New York Times and read it on the Kindle ... kind of cool when you're halfway around the world!

Marcia said...

Hi She Is Too Fond Of Books~
I haven't been adventurous enough yet to branch out from anything except books. Getting a single edition of the newspaper while traveling, just to "keep up" is a great idea.

Elizabeth said...

Hello again -

I just signed up at Bookins because you got me interested in it, and I'm addicted to swapping. =) I'd love to get in on the points split if there is still time - I'd be happy to send you one of my books in exchange, since you are being so generous! Yeah for more bookswapping for me! =)

Post a Comment