Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday Thingers ... Summer plans?!


Tuesday has rolled around again which means it must be time for Tuesday Thingers hosted by Marie at The Boston Bibliophile. This week is all about summer plans, specifically: Vacations, trips? Trips that involve reading? Reading plans? If you're going somewhere, do you do any reading to prepare? Do you read local literature as part of your trip? Have you thought about using the LT Local feature to help plan your book-buying?

Summer in our household is spent just like fall and spring ~ eating, sleeping and working. The only difference being my husband starts planning our annual winter vacation which for the past several years has been spent on the Mexican Rivera lazing around the pool, enjoying white sand beaches and snorkeling in beautiful crystal clear, blue water. Actually I let him do the all the reading and research about where we're headed and what we'll being doing once we get there. He actually enjoys it while I dream about parking myself in a lounge chair, pulling out the MP3 player, striking up the classical music, sticking my nose in a book while occasionally dragging myself into a handy pool or for a dunk in the ocean.

This year the only difference will be that I can pack as many books as I'd like and they'll only weigh 10.3 ounces ~ absolutely have to love that. See I bought myself an Amazon Kindle a couple of months ago with this in mind. No more heavy luggage and deciding what I have to leave behind because of those oh so many precious paperbacks snuggled at the bottom of my suitcase and stashed in my carry on. I'm sure he always wondered when the airline personnel were going to catch on and start charging me heavy baggage fees. I've managed to escape without paying over the years but not by much. Another key selling point for the hubby ~ I can download his travel books to Kindle and he'll have everything he needs right at his fingertips, bookmarked pages and all. Smart thinking on the wife's part.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought my husband a Kindle for his birthday last month. He travels a lot on business, and it makes sense for him, for all the reasons you've listed.

I'm sticking with traditional books - for now!

Kathleen Gilligan said...

"spenf on the Mexican Rivera lazing around the pool, enjoying white sand beaches, and snorkeling in beautiful crystal clear, blue water..."

Oh my, that sounds amazing!

Trixie said...

I've always thought a winter vacation to a warm place makes so much more sense than a summer vacation. If it's already warm where you are, why would you want to leave that?
Interesting comments on the Kindle too. I keep looking at it and wondering whether I would like to read on a computer screen. I just like to hold the book in my hands, but I do usually lose myself in the book anyway, and it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Post a Comment