Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Reading journal ... Patriot Hearts & a quote



Patriot Hearts, page 224

This is a very ambitious book attempting to cover the lives of Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, Dolley Madison and Sally Hemings over a 28 year period (1787-1815). While the history of our country during this time is undeniably fascinating the cast of characters is overwhelming and, at times, difficult to follow.

Reading Patriot Hearts brings to mind the following quote:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown

I've lived several different lives and visited places I never could have gone if it hadn't been for my love affair with books. My books, soon to be an Amazon Kindle, can take me from the pressures and reality of every day life and allow me to create my own alternate universe right in the comfort of my own home. Reading has transported me to the royal courts of England during the reigns of Richard VIII, Elizabeth I and Queen Mary. I've been to future with Lt. Eve Dallas, Roarke and the always entertaining cast of characters from the "In Death" series by J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts. I was there for the building of the Taj Mahal, witnessing the inspiring and tragic love affair of a man and his wife in Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors. Recently I spent 2 years living on an atoll in the South Pacific by reading The Sex Lives of Cannibals (Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific) by J. Maarten Troost. I discovered an atoll is probably not going to make my list of the top 10 places to relocate but it was a fun and wild ride. If I want to right injustices, take on the bad guys, kick some serious butt, be very opinionated, even with POTUS, and be the unassuming hero I only have to pick up the "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn.

Ah, to live another life and still enjoy the one I have is the best of both worlds. Nope, I wouldn't trade my books, or Kindle, for most anything you have to offer for denying myself the pleasure they bring is to live in a black and white world.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that quote, it's so true! Reading has taken me all over the world, to many different time periods, and I always feel so sorry for people who never read.

Post a Comment